Decades: A Century of Fashion

Recently I had the privilege to attend "A Queen Within", the Alexander McQueen exhibit that we had here in St Louis.  At the end of the tour, which I should say was absolutely amazing, I decided to take advantage of the sale they had going which was 50% off all fashion books.  One of the books I purchased was "Decades: A Century of Fashion" by Cameron Silver.  This book gives a wonderful recap from the 1900's all the way up into the beginning of the 21st century, describing each decade in great detail.  I wish I could put all of the fascinating information I found on here, but to save a little time and urge you all to purchase the book for yourselves I will just put the "Designers of the Decade" and showcase a garment from that time period, so we can all see how fashion has changed throughout the century:

1900's
 Designer of the Decade: Paul Poiret
1910's
 Designer of the Decade: "Lucille"
1920's
 Designer of the Decade: Coco Chanel
1930's
Designer of the Decade: Mainbocher
1940's
 Designer of the Decade: Valentina
1950's
 Designer of the Decade: Balenciaga
1960's
 Designer of the Decade: Rudi Gernreich
1970's
 Designer of the Decade: Yves Saint Laurent
1980's
 Designer of the Decade: Stephen Sprouse
1990's
Designer of the Decade: Narciso Rodriguez

No comments

Post a Comment