Fashion: Seriously...

cultural appropriation

I'm definitely going to do a YouTube video and podcast on this topic because I need you guys to hear the affliction in my voice and to see my facial expressions when I talk.  But until then, let's just go ahead and put it all on the table...these mfs are tripping!  Who?!  Designers and magazine publications committing back to back offenses of cultural appropriation.

Now I just did a couple of posts about this not too long ago, and it seemed to have died down, but with Paris fashion week in full force, cultural appropriation has been popping out from each and every corner.  It's truly upsetting.  And what some people don't seem to grasp is that we don't care that people like it, or think it's a "trend", but what we do CARE about is that most of these styles, garments, and beauty routines are what many of us do on a daily basis and have been since we were born, what our mothers, grandmothers, and so on have been taught since our race has existed.  And, these are the same "trends" that we probably got made fun of for, or got a million and one questions about, like what we wore, or what we did as far as our beauty regime was some foreign concept no one could understand.  I am sick of this ish, SICK OF IT!

You don't believe me, ok, let's put this to a test, check the pics below:

cultural appropriation

These are beauty supply slippers, sold for under $10 at every hood beauty supply.  I owned a black and a red pair in middle school.

cultural appropriation
How can you depict African culture with NOT ONE African or African American human being?!  And it's spelled wrong!

cultural appropriation
Kylie Jenner wearing braids, dreads, etc, is not edgy or new, she got some black ding ding in her life and thinks she's one of us now, have several seats

cultural appropriation
These are bantu knots, nothing new, but something every natural girl tries to master in their hair journey, something that can take hours, and something that has been done for YEARS!


cultural appropriation
Cornrows?  Child please, everyone has gotten cornrows since they were little, sitting on the floor in between your cousin's lap crying because it hurt sooooooooo bad, beads on the end, and gel on the side to lay down the baby hair.

And there are plenty more examples besides these.  Probably the most f'ed up example of all is Cosmopolitan having the AUDACITY to crown the Kardashian/Jenner clan as the first family of our generation, totally disrespecting the real FIRST FAMILY-THE OBAMAS!  Boy I tell you, I've written to Cosmo before, with no response I might add, but I''ll damn sure do it again.

cultural appropriation

What are your thoughts on this?  Is anyone else as mad as I am or am I just over-exaggerating (I'm not FYI)?  Drop a line and let me know please!

No comments

Post a Comment