Fashion & Style: Pins & Needles Recap with Barbara Bultman

pins-needles-2015-barbara-bultman
If you missed Pins & Needles this past Saturday, then you suck, point, blank, period.  This was my first time going after anticipation for months and I'm so glad I did! We already saw some of what was expected for the show with previews from Isaiah Jenkins and Alexis Cook (one of the winners), and now to recap with Barbara Bultman, who actually was one of the winners for the night! Quoting from the imfamous designer Coco Chanel, “fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street: fashion has to do with the ideas, the way we live, what is happening". This quote is something Barbara holds dear to her heart, reminding her that fashion is not just what people are wearing, but is influenced by what is going on in the world around us. Every time she begins a collection she tries and takes in everything she knows, creating something that is innovative and will inspre others.  As a recent graduate from Lindenwood University, with a BFA in Fashion Design and a minor in Studio Arts, Barbara likes to create structural pieces that are lively and unique, while still showing the silhouettes of the female body. She sees fashion not as labels but as a way people can express themselves without saying a word. Fashion is all around us, sometimes all you need to do is look.

Congrats to her first and foremost, I can tell you first hand her collection had everyone "ooo-ing and awww-ing", complete slayage! If you did so happen to miss the show, don't fret, just check out our interview with Barbara and what consists of her amazing collections:

When was the first moment you knew you wanted to be a designer? 

Ever since I can remember, I was always making doll clothes, drawing and I’ve always loved clothes. Although I loved to sew growing up, it really wasn’t til I was eighteen years old that I knew I wanted to be a fashion designer. I remember I was waitressing at a bar and we had to wear the ugly T-shirts, which they told us as long as it had our logo on it then we could do whatever we wanted to it. So of course I took it in cut it up and added other fabrics and so on to make look good. The first time I wore it to work and all the girls wanted me to make them one was the moment I new that fashion design was for me. 

How would you classify your brand/line? Meaning what do you want people to feel or take away when they see your work. 

Every time I design a new collection I always try to challenge myself by creating something new and fresh. As for the way I want people to feel I want the person wearing my clothes to feel confident and sexy, but not having to bare all. I always keep the female body in mind when I am designing, by accenting specific features of a woman to make her feel confident as if she could rule the world.

As a fashion designer, where do you turn to for inspiration when it comes to creating new collections or looks? 

To me fashion is all about what is going on in the world around us. As crazy as it sounds, fashion has a history of repeating itself. So when it comes to finding inspiration for a new collection it comes from all around me. Whether it is a structural building such as the Giza Museum, or an event that occurred in history such as the Vietnam War, which is my inspiration for my current collection, SAIGON 2016. 

How do you set yourself apart from other designers to make yourself unique? 

When I am designing I tend to push the limits and create something that is beautiful and unique, but also is functional, whether it’s an over sized collared dress or jumpsuit I always take into consideration the fact that someone still is wearing this in public, I need to make it to where the collar can fold down in order for it to still be comfortable. I also like to add a pop of color here and there for an extra pop.  

What advice can you give other aspiring designers who are looking to take the step of pursuing a career in fashion design? 

The best advice I could give someone looking to pursue a career in fashion is, don’t be scared. Life is too short and if you are willing to push yourself, you will succeed. Its not an easy road, trust me there will be many nights of no sleep and no eating, but seeing your first collection walk down the runway is a moment you will never forget. The excitement behind the runway show is an adrenaline rush like no other.  

Who is your favorite designer (besides yourself) or favorite designer's collection 

I am a huge fan of Alexander McQueen because his designs have always pushed the boundaries of fashion and have influenced so many other designers. 

Describe the essence of your brand is 3 words. 

Structural, detail oriented, and sophisticated

No comments

Post a Comment