7 Cultural Differences Between "White" & "Black" Salons

white vs black salons

Y'all know I just got my hair laid and colored to the max (check my previous post) and I will say I am overall satisfied with the result.  But there are some things I wish would have happened differently or not happen at all.  Because the salon was very accommodating and is giving me a free salon visit due to some mishaps, I won't mention their name, because this post isn't to bash.  In turn, my experience gave me insight on cultural differences between primarily white salons and primarily black salons.  While the differences are not bad on each side, it poses potential situations that I personally have went through and that some of my fellow black queens have also, and so...why not share them?!


1.  When You First Walk in the Door

When I first walk in the door to a "white" salon, I'm greeted by the receptionist, she looks in her handy dandy scheduling system, and she checks me in as if I'm at the Four Seasons.  And then I'm greeted by my stylist and we get started.  At a "black" salon, I can walk in and my stylist sees me knowing I'm there  I'll say hi and chat with the woman who's getting her hair done before me, maybe even put my purse down at her station.  Might grab a snack, and watch TV until it's my turn.  Difference is?  Professional vs. Personable.

2.  Attention to Detail

When I go to a "white" salon, they do what you tell them, nothing more.  When I go to a black salon, if my ends need to be trimmed I get the hook up, if I need a oil treatment, she'll throw that in because she knows it's necessary, if I even need my eyebrows arched, I get them on FLEEK!  Difference is?  Detail Incompetent vs Detail Oriented.

3.  Atmosphere

When I walk into a white salon, everyone is kind of in their own world, mingling among themselves.  When I go to a black salon, by the end of the day you know everyone up in there and somehow got the scoop on JJ's babymomma's new boyfriend who just got out of jail and is on his way to beat JJ's ass....no seriously this stuff happens.  Difference is?  Down to Business vs. Friendly and Inviting


4.  Difference in Experience

While any stylist has had the basic training that most other stylists have had, white and black stylists have their own level of experience when it comes to the type of hair they're dealing with.  I'm sorry but I refuse to let a "white" stylist relax my hair or tell me anything about being natural, but on the other hand I wouldn't expect a black stylist to know or have experience when it comes to washing a white woman's head or caring for it.  Difference is?  Texture, Style Preference, and Really...Everything.  

5.  More Bang for Your Buck

You do not know how morbidly pissed I was at my last salon visit for the amount I was charged for my hair.  Mind you I got half of my hair colored, HALF, with a shave job on my undercuts that sucked balls, and a basic flat iron that my 3 year old daughter could do.  And all of that was worth $185.  Now if I would have went to my normal stylist, I could have had my whole head colored, washed, styled, ends trimmed, a BOMB ASS LINING, and my eye brows done for $100 if that.  And I know others who would have charged only $65-85 for all of what I just listed.  Difference is?  Expensive vs A Great Deal

6.  TICK TOCK!
At white salons, it seems as if time is everything,  Which is great for speedy service of customers, but it also hinders the customer experience as well.  Long story short, I was almost sent out the door with a wet head all because the salon closed at 8, where as if I was at a black salon, we stay until we're done.  Difference is?  Caring More About Tme vs Caring About Giving You the Product You Want.


7.  The Obvious Difference

Sorry to be so blunt but the obvious difference is....white people and black people care for their hair in different ways.  So when you cross the two, it can be a frustrating experience.  Now I know there are many stylists who have SKILLZ ON TOP OF SKILLZ to work magic on any head, black, white, alien, whatever.  But where I am, and what I've experienced, that doesn't seem to be the case.  So, maybe to bridge that gap, cosmetology schools can give forth effort into giving a diverse education on tailoring to different clients?  Or maybe stylists themselves can build their experience on their own by experimenting with different hair textures and methods of doing hair? Either way, something needs to be done.

I don't discriminate.  I will go to whatever salon that can get me right, but I don't want to go through a damn cultural shock to do some and still end up with something I didn't want, plain and simple.