Colored Pencils Doubles as Eyeliner? Crayola says NO!

A video has recently went viral of a beauty vlogger and several others on YouTube showing how to turn your colored pencils into dups for eyeliner. At first, this seems to be an AWESOME idea mainly because you can buy 10 colored pencils for way less than the price of a quality eyeliner from Walgreens or Sephora. On top of that, it looks really cool! I personally would love to do anything possible to save me some money by doing a few DIYs here and there, but not at the possible expense of my health and safety.

Here's the video that sparked the controversy:



Crayola has since released a statement saying:
"As the manufacturer of children's products, safety is our top priority at Crayola. Although our products are nontoxic, we do not recommend using them to make eyeliner, lip stick, or other make-up, and strongly discourage their use in this manner. The products were never intended to be used on the skin or face in this manner. Make-up goes through specific and rigorous testing because it is intended to be used on the skin. Because they were never meant to be used as make-up, our colored pencils or crayons have not been  tested in the same way and should not be used as a cosmetic. They are not designed, tested or approved for this purpose.

With this I somewhat agree. I personally wouldn't put something that wasn't formulated to go near my eye, near my eye, but I do think that the products could be used on occasion for face coloring or something like that, but if I'm not mistaken, they may have something like that (correct me if I'm wrong), or you could just go get face paint.

Crayola did a great job by releasing a statement because the second someone uses a colored pencil on
their lid and their eye swells to the size of the moon, they're going to try to sue the company of the product. It wouldn't necessarily make sense to try to sue anyway because it's obvious what the product is for, but you know that people are gonna try it anyway and just in case that happens, Crayola made sure to cover their butts reeeeeeeeaaaal good! It appears though, that Crayola execs and their employees need to get on the same page because as you saw in the video, she called Crayola and one the reps said that it was OK to basically get the product in your eye and because it is non-toxic, it was OK.

I don't know. I'm really on the fence about this. I kind of have a problem with sensitive skin so I personally wouldn't try it on my own face, but for some people, this may not actually bother them. Though the products are said to be non toxic, I don't think it's formulated for the continued consumption of the product.

What do you guys think? Yay or nay to using crayons and colored pencils for makeup?

No comments

Post a Comment