#RelationshipGoals?!?

OK! So this has been eating at me for a looong time and I'm so glad that AK and I decided that it was time to create another subject matter called "LS&R (Love, Sex, and Relationships)" because maaan do we have a lot to talk about as well when it comes to this stuff.

For anybody that's online, particularly on social media sites, you're probably already know what a hashtag is and what this one is all about. For those of you who don't know why the pound sign is put in front of words everyplace that you look, it's because it creates a link that pulls up everything on the subject matter and others have tagged under the topic as well. This definitely makes finding information and people's opinions on things easier to find. But anyway! Lets talk about these "Relationship Goals".

I don't know where this trend came from or who thought it was a good idea, but it needs to STOP and STOP now. I could barely get the whole "#RelationshipGoals" phrase typed and it popped up at about 3 letters in. *sigh* Like... where do I start? I'll start with the fact that I am currently in a relationship (and have been for almost 2 years) and Honey trust, our relationship isn't full of matching Nike Jordans and coordinating outfits and a bunch of pictures of us slobbing all over each other in public and/or laid up in the bed. And we definitely aren't a posy couple either. Now, I'm not necessarily bashing anyone who does these things and are in genuinely healthy relationships because I don't think there's anything wrong with PDA and having matching things, BUT most people are out there capturing every moment and only sharing it online for the attention and the likes. 

I love to see people in love and things of that nature, but I am sooo over the Flipgram videos playing "All of Me" by John Legend (no shade because I looove that song, it's beautiful) with all of these mushy pictures and screenshots of their lovey dovey relationship. 

Again, I'm not upset and I'm not jealous because where I am? I am more than happy, but I feel like people are starting to jump onto a bandwagon and doing it just for the heck of it. Some people go as far as to recruit someone to be their "Bae" so that they can have those "moments" together. Like... ugh!

I feel like it's become a competition about who loves their mate the most because if you're not doing what we're doing or have what we have, then it's not real. I also think that it kind of puts out a false sense of what relationships are really like. The best moments between my boyfriend and I are the moments that we don't capture with our camera phone. It's those moments that define the relationship in my opinion. Anybody can smile and take a picture and "look happy", but that doesn't necessarily that they really are. There's a backstory to every moment in every photo and whether it's good or bad is what we don't know. People are really out here selling out the authenticity of their relationships just so that their meme can go viral across the social networks and people can say that they love their relationship (in which they usually know nothing about) and they look good together. It's even turned into materialism in a way.

It's deeper than looking good together. Are you minds on the same page or even in the same book? No person should ever want to model their relationship after someone else's because you don't know what's really going on. Yeah you see them smiling and laughing together all the time and he buys her all of these nice things and she takes good care of him as well, but little do you know, he's cheated on her several times with several women and has even gotten a girl pregnant all while they're together. For all we you know, he could be abusing her and vice versa (no discrimination here!). A lot of people are looking at the outside and judging the book by it's cover, but can't even handle what's inside of the book.

You can have goals on what it is that you want in a relationship and the kind of person you want to experience this thing with, but don't base your relationship or your actual relationship goals on stuff like this, you'll fail every time.

What do you guys think about the hashtag? Are there any other hashtag phrases that wish would disappear? Comment below!

No comments

Post a Comment